There are several sides to every story and Courtney Alexis Santana is no exception.
She is a loving wife and mother. She is a well-known vocalist, actress, and performer. She is also a renowned public speaker and advocate, as well as, a community volunteer and mother.
Courtney the vocalist, actress, and performer: Courtney Santana has been in music, theater, and dance for over 30 years. As a member of Austin’s theater community since 1994, she has performed in some of Austin’s most loved musical performances including Dreamgirls, Fame, Porgy & Bess, and RENT. She has also led her own band for 6 years and performs at various live music events.
And yet there is yet another side where Courtney finds her passion for others and she uses her personal story and trauma to impact change for many.
Courtney the public speaker and advocate: Courtney Santana has been working in the nonprofit world for over a decade. A survivor of domestic violence, she tirelessly works with other organizations to create opportunities, resources, and awareness around her cause.
She has a diverse background in volunteerism and community philanthropy. As a powerful public speaker, Courtney has toured the country, speaking about the power of empowerment over victimization and she served on the fundraising board of the domestic violence shelter she and her two children lived in for 4 years as a tireless advocate and community volunteer.
Courtney at a Glance
- Advisor for DivInc
- Member of Leadership Austin - BCE 2017
- Member of the Greater Austin Black Chamber of Commerce
- ARTIST INC Fellow
- Foundation Board Member for SafePlace Austin
- Public Policy Committee Member for Texas Council on Family Violence
- Domestic Violence Task Force for the Office on Violence Against Women
- Task Force Member for Vice President Biden VAWA
- Consultant, Federal Communications Commission
- Consultant, Texas Council on Family Violence
- 2017 SXSW Dewey Community Service Award Honoree
- Featured Speaker for PBS Blackademics Season 5
- Retired Member, Junior League Austin
- Original Voice for I Live Here, I Give Here Austin
- Member and Ambassador, EBW2020
- Supporter of the MS Foundation, The Sickle Cell Foundation, The Leukemia Lymphoma Society
- Technology Consultant for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- May 2012 Cover Woman for Austin Woman Magazine
- June 2009, Featured Article, Essence Magazine
- March 3 is Courtney Santana Day in Texas for her Music and Philanthropy